Monday, November 23, 2009

Dreams and Set Backs

My two teenage sons bowl on their High School bowling team. On Sunday we were traveling about an hour and a half away for a big State Tournament. Needless to say they were both very excited! When Cody my 15 year old woke up Sunday morning he was not able to straighten his right arm. He has had some issues with this elbow more than likely from past bleeds. He was certain it was not a bleed but he did give himself factor. I'm sure you can imagine how difficult it is to bowl when you can not straighten your arm. Cody put forth his best effort and really bowled quiet well. His team was supportive of him and his efforts! I watch for just about 5 hours as my son struggled to bowl. I was filled with mixed emotions! Part of me was so proud of him that he continued with his passion yet another part of me wanted to run down and get him and take him home.

We all have times when we have to have faith in our kids and let them make the best choices for themselves. It has always been important to me to make sure my kids understand their hemophilia and their limitations. To understand when to take a break and when to push forward. Sometimes that line is not so clear.

I will leave you with a line I always say to my kids when they leave the house. It applies to so much more than their hemophilia!

Make good choices!

No comments: